From the perspective of counsel representing the parties, as well as from the perspective of a Human Rights Commission, this roundtable will explore how commissions and parties can manage complaint process issues involving parties with difficult personalities. The roundtable will discuss such things as:
- Balancing procedural fairness and the test of sufficiency of evidence;
- Managing parties who are constantly submitting documentation or submissions;
- Assessing the sufficiency of an investigation without affecting access to justice; and
- Conducting mediation with difficult parties.
Chair: Paméla Schiavoni, Lawyer / Head of Investigation Unit, New Brunswick Human Rights Commission
- Joël Michaud, Managing Partner, Pink Larkin, Fredericton, NB
- Jessica Lott Thompson, Director, Yukon Human Rights Commission
This session will be delivered in French with English simultaneous interpretation.